Tuesday, April 9, 2013

18 Years




 Believe it or not, Blaine and I just celebrated our 18 year dating anniversary on March 26th.  It sounds like such a long time...18 years...but really it feels like just yesterday. 

I asked Blaine if I could plan a dinner for us that evening.  He, of course, quickly agreed to that idea.  When he came downstairs from tucking Pres into bed, I had a bottle of chilled champagne ready.  In all honesty, I didn't intend to have champagne with this dinner.  But we had a left over bottle from Beckett's birthday party (I realize that sounds odd...both that we would have champagne for a one year old's party and that we would ever have any left over) so I decided this would be a perfect occasion to pop it open.


 At this point, you're probably wondering what amazing dinner I had planned.

 Fresh veggies, hummus, cheese, and crackers.  This is pretty much a standard every night.


 
 Guacamole and chips.
I know, not what you were expecting but just wait.


 BLT sandwich. 

By now you might be a bit confused.  But there's a reason to why I chose this completely random dinner to celebrate our anniversary, and here it is:

A BLT sandwich and french fries was the very first meal I ever cooked for Blaine.  He was over at my house one day after school and it was getting close to dinner time.  I asked him if he wanted me to make something for dinner, and although he seemed a bit shocked that I could or would do this, he happily accepted.  I had no idea what to make and quickly searched all through our fridge and pantry.  Luckily my mom had just bought some bacon, lettuce, and tomatoes.  I gathered all my ingredients and started getting to work.  I was so excited to cook for Blaine (it was sometime in April because we had been dating a couple weeks at this point) and he was equally excited that I could. I proudly made him a sandwich and we sat down to eat our first homemade dinner together.

That dinner was nothing like the one we had the other night. Unfortunately, the HEB in Flour Bluff in 1995 didn't quite stock the same ingredients as the one I shop at today.  If memory serves me correctly, I'm quite certain I burned most of the bacon and undercooked the french fries. But, Blaine acted like it was the best thing he had ever eaten and I was so proud of myself.

 I know this is the part where I'm supposed to say that this was a much better meal and by all accounts, it probably should be.  

The ingredients were better, healthier, and fresher than the ones I had used in 1995.  We drank a beautiful bottle of champagne instead of Dr. Pepper out of a can. I substituted soggy french fries for a much healthier chips and fresh guacamole dip. I got to actually eat this sandwich because last time I was too embarrassed to really eat in front of Blaine.  Finally, instead of Blaine having to go back home after we ate, we got to walk a couple of steps to our room and snuggle up in our cozy bed while our sweet babies slept upstairs. Yes, it could definitely be argued that this time, our BLT dinner was much better.

And yet, nothing will ever compare to that first meal.  It doesn't matter how great the food or how expensive the champagne, nothing can ever top the feeling I had the first time I made dinner for my future husband.

 In 10 years, we won't remember this dinner.  But we will forever remember the one in 1995...burned bacon, soggy french fries, and all!
 
Happy anniversary, sweetie!
Thank you for an amazing 18 years!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment